Mental Health Training
New for 2020/21 – Partner Reward Scheme giving you more benefits for accessing our services; including training & licence discounts, free resources and webinars.
- Read Partner Reward Scheme document (232KB, PDF)
Mental Health Training Competency Framework
It is vital, that everyone working within a school has a basic understanding of what mental health is and has the confidence to recognise and respond to common issues, especially in the current climate. This will help ensure that children and young people are equipped with the skills and strategies to manage their mental health and emotional wellbeing, including early access to any additional help they need.
We are therefore excited to share details of a new Competency Framework and Training Needs Analysis tool that we have developed in partnership with Cambridgeshire County Council, Cambridge and Peterborough Foundation Trust, and other local stakeholders.
- View our new calendar of training linked to the framework
- Access the full toolkit by contacting us on 01733 373187 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is it?
The framework aims to simplify the complex picture of mental health training available through a tiered and structured approach to ensure the whole school community is equipped with the knowledge and skills to support young peoples’ mental health, as well as their own.
How to use the framework
This framework offers a clear structure which you may wish to adopt to aid the decision making process when thinking about the training needs of your school community. There are three stages allowing for different depths of knowledge and training for different roles within the school. It offers some considerations of how to identify what training is needed and a list of recommended competencies needed within each stage.
It also aligns with the Thrive framework, the local structure for services for children, young people, their families and carers.
Our training programmes
In order to provide clarity to schools, our new training brochure details how our courses fit with the different stages of the framework. We will also help settings undertake a Training Needs Analysis to ensure content is based on identified needs. Please get in touch to find out more.
Stage Two – ENHANCED training
- Introduction to Anxiety and Depression
- Introduction to Self-Harm
- Introduction to Risk-Taking Behaviour
- Introduction to Body Confidence
- Introduction to Substance Misuse
- Introduction to Sexual Health
- Classroom Strategies for Mental Health Support workshop
- Introduction to Managing Challenging Behaviour workshops
- NEW – Mental Health Awareness for Managers
One day courses:
- NEW – Mentoring Adults: A Solution Focused Approach
- Mentoring Children & Young People: A Solution Focused Approach
- NEW – Eating Disorders
Free distance learning
Stage Three – TARGETED training
Our targeted training is delivered in a Train the Trainer format to give settings access to cost-effective and sustainable training that can be cascaded to other staff.
Parents and carers are integral to promoting positive mental health in young people and supporting those in need. We can adapt all of our training in the competency framework to parents and carers, specifically the core and enhanced courses. Adaptations may be in the form of content, course length or structure so please get in touch to discuss your bespoke needs. Examples of tailored parent awareness workshops include:
This course gives managers the knowledge and skills to meet both HSE and NICE standards for identifying and addressing risks to mental health in the workplace. It will help managers to confidently develop mental health awareness, reduce stigma and discrimination, and foster productive and supportive working cultures and teams.
In order to create a positive well-being culture, mental health needs to be everyone’s business. Student awareness is also central to building resilience and reducing the risk of issues escalating. In addition to parents and staff, students can therefore increase their own mental health competencies through a range of programmes we can offer that are listed below:
We can deliver a range of assemblies for all ages covering some basic mental health awareness activities, self-care tips, myths and facts, case studies, videos, supporting others, etc.
Free to all schools, we have two national campaigns which provide useful resources, session plans, reports and videos that are free to download.
- IAMWHOLE – Visit the IAMWHOLE website to read more about the anti-stigma campaign backed by celebrities such as Ed Sheeran.
- BeREAL – Look on the BeREAL website for more information about their body confidence campaign in partnership with Dove to raise awareness of body image issues.
Awareness workshops / Well-being Days
If you need support running awareness sessions in schools, we can help. Our trained practitioners can deliver one-off workshops, schemes of work, or even a whole school awareness day depending on your needs. They can all also be tailored to meet the new PSHE curriculum guidelines.
In addition, we can help you arrange your own awareness days to fundraise for mental health support. Please get in touch to receive our fundraising pack.
Specific Topics Workshops – Not only can we offer you awareness sessions, we can also arrange workshops on specific topics such as exam stress, body confidence and anxiety.
Level 1 Award – Young Health Champions
To help schools develop peer support programmes, we have written an accredited qualification for students aged 14+. The award will help build leadership skills, but also raise awareness of mental health to enable students to support others and raise awareness across the school. The course consists of up to 50 hours of guided learning and can be delivered by our trainers or we can arrange for you to attend a Train The Trainer course so you can run it yourself.
- Peer Leadership
- Health Improvement
Optional units include:
- Body Image
- Self-Esteem 7 Confidence
- Dealing with bullying
- Feelings and emotions
- Encouraging physical activity
- Healthy Eating
First Aid Courses
We have a range of approved first aid trainers that can offer you courses at discounted rates. With first aid now becoming a part of the curriculum, why not get in touch with us to help you offer this to both staff and students:
- Level 2 Award in Student First Aid – three hours or 3x1hr blocks (11+)
- Mini Medics Award – three hours (7-11 year olds)
- Ofsted recognised Paediatric First Aid – two day (16+)
- Level 2 Emergency First Aid – one day (14+)
Prices start from just £20 per person for mini-medics and £55 per person for full day courses, with discounts for large groups. Contact us for more information.
Conferences & Key Notes
Our expertise in mental health means we have a wealth of knowledge and resources to offer schools, organisations and other settings bespoke key note speakers at existing events or INSET days. We can also arrange full scale mental health conferences and events for groups of schools, trusts and organisations covering a range of topics and organise local speakers as necessary.
We are one of the leading regional providers of mental health training, developed as a result of our long history of supporting young people. Many of our courses have been locally approved and commissioned through the DfE and local authorities.
Courses are all written and delivered by clinical professionals using evidence based approaches and feedback from a range of stakeholders.
They can be delivered both virtually and face to face as appropriate and tailored to the needs of your setting or individuals. We also give delegates access to a range of free Level 2 courses to continue learning and signpost to further opportunities to progress knowledge.
- “The trainer was able to bring this heavy subject to life with his dynamic and engaging approach”– Deputy Head Teacher
- “I found the group work and discussion very helpful for thinking practically about how to use things learnt in the classroom” – Teaching Assistant
- “Really enjoyable course, Lots of group discussions and sharing of ideas. Leaving feeling motivated and inspired” –Teacher
- “Look forward to sharing the course content with colleagues. Content is concise and relevant I think it will be easy to deliver” – Student Services Manager
- “I just wanted to thank you for the staff training. Everybody commented on how uplifted and motivated they felt following your training. It’s not often that we have training in school which receives such positive feedback from all
members of staff, so I felt like I needed to let you know” – Head Teacher