Mental Health Training
New – Partner Reward Scheme giving you more benefits for accessing our services; including training & licence discounts, free resources and webinars.
- Read Partner Reward Scheme document (232KB, PDF)
Mental Health Training Competency Framework
To address the overwhelming tide of negative pressures impacting wellbeing in both pupils, students and teachers, YMCA Trinity Group has developed a series of training programmes to equip staff with the tools they need to help pupils, students and themselves, and reduce the risk of issues escalating.
It is vital that everyone working within a school has an understanding of what mental health is and how to respond to common issues to ensure children and young people are able to access the help they need early.
In order to help you decide upon the most appropriate training, we have worked with local services to develop a competency framework which categorises our training according to its content and depth of learning. We also hope that this will simplify the often complex picture of mental health training in a structured and methodical way, and provide a clear framework to equip the whole setting with appropriate skills to support young people’s mental health.
How to Use the Framework
As we pursue our ambition of helping young people enjoy positive mental health and wellbeing, we believe that everyone working with young people should have a foundation level of training and these training courses are listed under Stage One (Core or Universal) of the competency framework. From here, individuals can identify trainings from Stage Two (Enhanced) and Stage Three (Targeted) according to their role in their setting and developmental need.
- View our new calendar of training linked to the framework
- Access the full toolkit by contacting us on 01733 373187 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our training programmes
In order to provide clarity to schools, our new training brochure details how our courses fit with the different stages of the framework. We will also help settings undertake a Training Needs Analysis to ensure content is based on identified needs. Please get in touch to find out more.
Stage Two – ENHANCED training
- Introduction to Anxiety and Depression
- Introduction to Self-Harm
- Introduction to Risk-Taking Behaviour
- Introduction to Body Confidence
- Introduction to Substance Misuse
- Introduction to Sexual Health
- Classroom Strategies for Mental Health Support workshop
- Managing Challenging Behaviour workshops
- NEW – Mental Health Awareness for Managers
One day courses:
- NEW – Mentoring Adults: A Solution Focused Approach
- Mentoring Children & Young People: A Solution Focused Approach
Free distance learning
Stage Three – TARGETED training
Our targeted training is delivered in a Train the Trainer format to give settings access to cost-effective and sustainable training that can be cascaded to other staff.
Parents and carers are integral to promoting positive mental health in young people and supporting those in need. We can adapt all of our training in the competency framework to parents and carers, specifically the core and enhanced courses. Adaptations may be in the form of content, course length or structure so please get in touch to discuss your bespoke needs. Examples of tailored parent awareness workshops include:
This course gives managers the knowledge and skills to meet both HSE and NICE standards for identifying and addressing risks to mental health in the workplace. It will help managers to confidently develop mental health awareness, reduce stigma and discrimination, and foster productive and supportive working cultures and teams.
In order to create a positive well-being culture, mental health needs to be everyone’s business. Student awareness is also central to building resilience and reducing the risk of issues escalating. In addition to parents and staff, students can therefore increase their own mental health competencies through a range of programmes we can offer that are listed below:
We can deliver a range of assemblies for all ages covering some basic mental health awareness activities, self-care tips, myths and facts, case studies, videos, supporting others, etc.
Free to all schools, we have two national campaigns which provide useful resources, session plans, reports and videos that are free to download.
- IAMWHOLE – Visit the IAMWHOLE website to read more about the anti-stigma campaign backed by celebrities such as Ed Sheeran.
- BeREAL – Look on the BeREAL website for more information about their body confidence campaign in partnership with Dove to raise awareness of body image issues.
Awareness workshops / Well-being Days
If you need support running awareness sessions in schools, we can help. Our trained practitioners can deliver one-off workshops, schemes of work, or even a whole school awareness day depending on your needs. They can all also be tailored to meet the new PSHE curriculum guidelines.
In addition, we can help you arrange your own awareness days to fundraise for mental health support. Please get in touch to receive our fundraising pack.
Specific Topics Workshops – Not only can we offer you awareness sessions, we can also arrange workshops on specific topics such as exam stress, body confidence and anxiety.
First Aid Courses
We have a range of approved first aid trainers that can offer you courses at discounted rates. With first aid now becoming a part of the curriculum, why not get in touch with us to help you offer this to both staff and students:
- Level 2 Award in Student First Aid – three hours or 3x1hr blocks (11+)
- Mini Medics Award – three hours (7-11 year olds)
- Ofsted recognised Paediatric First Aid – two day (16+)
- Level 2 Emergency First Aid – one day (14+)
Prices start from just £20 per person for mini-medics and £55 per person for full day courses, with discounts for large groups. Contact us for more information.
Conferences & Key Notes
Our expertise in mental health means we have a wealth of knowledge and resources to offer schools, organisations and other settings bespoke key note speakers at existing events or INSET days. We can also arrange full scale mental health conferences and events for groups of schools, trusts and organisations covering a range of topics and organise local speakers as necessary.
We are one of the leading regional providers of mental health training, developed as a result of our long history of supporting young people. Many of our courses have been locally approved and commissioned through the DfE and local authorities.
Courses are all written and delivered by clinical professionals using evidence based approaches and feedback from a range of stakeholders.
They can be delivered both virtually and face to face as appropriate and tailored to the needs of your setting or individuals. We also give delegates access to a range of free Level 2 courses to continue learning and signpost to further opportunities to progress knowledge.
Based on more than 7050 delegates trained in 688 settings.
- “Thank you for being adaptable and working with our needs. Very useful.” – (SENCO)
- “SO useful, honestly the best training I have done for a long time. This has given me and my head so many new ideas to incorporate into our policy and practice. Thank you so much.” – (SENCO / MH lead / SLT)
- “I found this very useful. It is so useful to have dedicated, significant amount of training time on this. The trainer was confident, skilled, and interesting.” – (History Teacher)
- “This was a really great session – the Trainer was engaging, reassuring, completely knowledgeable and stimulating. I left the session feeling far more informed, inspired and like I had learnt a lot. Thank you.” – (Trainee teacher)
- “Very informative course. Thank you.” – (EYFS Leader)
How to Book
- Visit our Training Events Calendar & Campaigns page for an up to date calendar and information on how to book
- Contact 01733 373187 or email email@example.com to discuss your bespoke needs