Mental Health Support for Schools
On average – four children in every school classroom have a mental health condition
Our Menu of Services was designed to offer education settings and youth organisations a range of programmes to improve the physical, emotional and psychological well-being of young people and staff. Existing support channels are overwhelmed with demand, and our programme offers provides a holistic and sustainable route for settings to continue to support pupils in the face of budget cuts and to get the help they need quicker.
YMCA has been supporting young people in the UK for over 150 years. During the last 30 years we have developed extensive expertise in positive mental wellbeing which builds on our world-leading physical health programmes. These programmes address whole setting needs through one or more of the following:
- Well-Being Audits and Consultations to understand your bespoke needs and priorities
- Training for staff and parents
- Clinical interventions for those that need support including counselling, therapy, drop-ins, mentoring and group work
- Peer support and awareness programmes
- A NHS approved 24/7 self-help app for staff and students
- Staff well-being support programmes including counselling, supervision and self-care
Since its inception in April 2015, our Menu of Services programme has provided interventions to almost 100 schools and 1000 children; and provided training to over 2000 staff in 300 schools. Our reach and expertise using evidence based practice and fully qualified professionals, has enabled us to become one of the leading providers of mental health services locally, with links to statutory services creating approved status and aligning our work to local priorities and gaps in existing provision.
For more information or to discuss your needs, please click on one of the boxes below or contact YMCA Menu of Services:
T 01733 373 187
For the full guide to our services click here
For our latest newsletter please click here
FREE LEVEL 2 MENTAL HEALTH AND SEND COURSES WORTH UP TO £400 EACH!
To give more people the opportunity to develop their understanding, we have teamed up with The Skills Network to offer all schools that purchase our Whole Staff or Train The Trainer programmes the opportunity to access additional level 2 distance learning courses in a variety of related topics including Mental Health, Autism, Understanding Behaviour that Challenges, Nutrition & Health, amongst others!
Not only can school staff benefit from the accredited programmes, but parents can also access them – FREE of charge!
As if that wasn’t enough, we will also give your setting up to £10 per person per course in vouchers to be used for other YMCA services when 10 or more people complete a course.
Click here for details of the courses on offer and how to access them
How Does it Work?
YMCA Menu of Services was designed to offer schools and partners a range of services to improve the physical, emotional and psychological well-being of young people in their care. We appreciate that this will vary between organisations, according to the demographics of young people using them. For this reason, we have arranged our services so that you can select the ingredients that will best address their needs.
The YMCA Menu of Services allows you to:
- Identify, measure and address multiple physical, psychological and emotional needs of children and young people in one comprehensive package of support
- Receive professional advice on the types of support you need, amount, and in what order
- Create a bespoke package of support tailored to your needs
- Concentrate on your curriculum or other priorities, confident that these additional priorities are being managed appropriately
- Receive information on the impact the services are making, both within your organisation, as well as across the spectrum of the YMCA Menu of Services
- Discuss particular needs even if they don’t fit with the current list of options (e.g. consultancy packages, training and other interventions).
- Develop a positive well-being culture to enable all children, young people and staff to thrive
97% of schools would recommend the service and training
100% schools saw an overall improvement in children and young people as a result of therapeutic interventions
100% of schools rated the workers professionalism and knowledge as good or excellent
97% of staff learned more as a result of training and 98% said it was relevant to their role
“We are really impressed with the service. Our pupils showed a real change in their feelings”– Head Teacher
“I’m so grateful that you made the effort to contact the school! I’m very grateful to you for the time and effort you have put in to try and help me! A massive thank you to you”. – Parent.
“Thank you for enabling us to provide this extremely worthwhile service to our school community. Very much appreciated” – SENCO.
“Thank you for everything we have received this year so far. The counselling has been incredible and we have seen so much progress in our children.” – Deputy Head.
“I feel the sessions have been really valuable and I’ve really appreciated the feedback to school regarding the pupil which allows us to help her more, Thank you!” – Class Teacher.
“I just wanted to feedback on the group sessions that finished last week. The children have loved taking part and many parents have thanked me as they can see a real difference in their children.” – Deputy Head.
“Great tutor, really interesting, great group work” – School Well-Being Nurse.
“It made me reflect on the children in my class as well as my own child & gave me the time to think of ways to encourage this within my practice. The time to discuss this with my peers was extremely valuable” – EYFS Teacher.