Train the Trainer – Mental Health Champions
To address the overwhelming tide of negative pressures impacting well-being in both pupils, students and teachers, YMCA has developed a series of Train The Trainer programmes to equip staff with the tools they need to help pupils, students and themselves.
This three day course begins with our Introduction to Mental Health course, which is not part of the Train the Trainer offer, since we recommend that this course is only delivered by mental health professionals. The subsequent training is based on the seven modules in our enhanced training portfolio (Building Resilience, Anxiety and Depression, Self-Harm, Risk-Taking Behaviour, Body Confidence, Substance Misuse and Sexual Health). It is delivered on three days, usually spread over six weeks, to enable time for delegates to consolidate learning and consider how to apply their learning to their setting. On this training, delegates will learn about mental health, how trauma develops and how to support young people with specific needs.
You will leave with a training manual which includes worksheets and trainer notes to guide you through delivery of the workshops. An online resource will give you access to presentations and updated materials to help with your training delivery.
- Understanding your roles and responsibilities in mental health provision
- Understanding how to identify specific needs and risks in the well-being of children and young people
- Applying this knowledge to deliver up to seven teacher awareness training modules in your setting
- Building confidence in cascading and sourcing further information
- Follow-up support, on-going updates, good practice sharing and refresher training through the licensing renewal arrangement – plus an understanding of how to access direct clinical interventions for those in most need.
We recommend that all settings who attend this course, arrange for an Introduction to Mental Health (or a similar training) to be delivered to all staff before cascading the training in this portfolio of courses.
- Introductory training in mental health awareness of children and young people
- Training in seven modules from our enhanced training portfolio for cascading in your setting
- The opportunity to practice delivering this content to others
- Long-term support for specialist health and well-being provision in your school
- Massive savings on the cost of direct training delivery (save up to 75% on teacher training if brought separately)
- Expertise from a well recognised organisation – we have been delivering mental health services locally for 30 years, and we understand the needs of young people. Our trainers are mental health professionals with a wealth of experience
- Direct links to service provision – we can also deliver interventions directly to young people, providing immediate support if a referral is required
- Tailored solutions – all our programmes have been designed based on feedback from schools. We can design new programmes when needs are identified
- Charitable support – by accessing our programmes, you are directly enabling us to support more young people. Any income we receive is put back into providing more services at a local level. We can also help schools with fundraising to provide more direct support in those schools that need it most.
The annual licence renewal fee includes all of the following:
- Unlimited use of the materials in your school – by signing up, you can deliver our programmes and access our resources for a yearly renewal fee
- Training manual that is regularly updated
- Tried and tested resources and materials based on sound research
- Regular updates – we do all the research and find the most useful resources for you, saving you time and money. We will also source additional materials and content as necessary, based on your feedback
- Peer support sessions – our licensing agreement and annual refreshers allow schools to share good practice. We will also facilitate peer support opportunities so you can always access additional help from others
- Clinical support and advice – our dedicated service means you can contact us if you have any questions about the material. We will offer support and signpost you to additional resources, so help is always on hand.
- Course cost (+VAT): £495 per person (Includes free Introduction to Mental Health training session and licence to deliver 7 modules)*
- Additional Places^ only: £260 (Secondary Schools) £160 (Primary Schools)
- Annual Renewal (per school): (Includes free 1 day Refresher Training for up to two delegates and updated materials)^
Primary Schools £200, Secondary Schools £250
* This enables you to deliver any of the 7 modules as many times as you wish to your school staff, using the presentations and notes provided.
A yearly renewal is required to continue to use and receive updated materials. It is recommended that you book Whole School Introduction to Mental Health training (delivered by YMCA mental health professionals) before implementing any of the other 7 modules.
^Schools with more than 400 pupils must send two members of staff to ensure you have sufficient trainers to cover the size of your school. Additional places on refresher courses will cost an admin fee of £50 per person
New for 2020/21 – Partner Reward Scheme giving you more benefits for accessing our services; including training & licence discounts, free resources and webinars.
- Read Partner Reward Scheme document (232KB, PDF)
“I have really enjoyed this training and feel well equipped to deliver it” – Assistant Head Teacher
“I felt really confident in the trainer and found her to be very confident and supportive as well as knowledgeable in delivering the course” – School Social Worker