Life Skills Programme – Social networks/relationships
Throughout our lives we are involved in many different kinds of relationships. We will have relationships with parents, siblings, friends, teachers, classmates and also romantic relationships. It is important to ensure all of these relationships are healthy and both parties feel happy and secure with the other person.
No family environment is perfect, and we all need help from time to time. There is no shame, blame or criticism in asking for help as you raise your family.
So, take a short quiz to determine if you are creating an emotionally healthy home…full of love, laughter and joy!
An intimate relationship is an interpersonal relationship that involves physical or emotional intimacy. Although an intimate relationship is commonly a sexual relationship, it may also be a non-sexual relationship.
Everyone deserves to be in a safe and healthy relationship. Do you know if your relationship is healthy? Answer the following questions “Yes” or “No” to find out for yourself.
The person I’m with:
- Is very supportive of things that I do. Yes or No?
- Encourages me to try new things. Yes or No?
- Likes to listen when I have something on my mind. Yes or No?
- Understands that I have my own life too. Yes or No?
- Is not liked very well by my friends. Yes or No?
- Says I’m too involved in different activities. Yes or No?
- Texts me or calls me all the time. Yes or No?
- Thinks I spend too much time trying to look nice. Yes or No?
- Gets extremely jealous or possessive. Yes or No?
- Accuses me of flirting or cheating. Yes or No?
- Constantly checks up on me or makes me check in. Yes or No?
- Controls what I wear or how I look. Yes or No?
- Tries to control what I do and who I see. Yes or No?
- Tries to keep me from seeing or talking to my family and friends. Yes or No?
- Has big mood swings, getting angry and yelling at me one minute but being sweet and apologetic the next. Yes or No?
- Makes me feel nervous or like I’m “walking on eggshells.” Yes or No?
- Puts me down, calls me names or criticizes me. Yes or No?
- Makes me feel like I can’t do anything right or blames me for problems. Yes or No?
- Makes me feel like no one else would want me. Yes or No?
- Threatens to hurt me, my friends or family. Yes or No?
- Threatens to hurt themselves because of me. Yes or No?
- Threatens to destroy my things (Phone, clothes, laptop, car, etc.). Yes or No?
- Grabs, pushes, shoves, chokes, punches, slaps, holds me down, throws things or hurts me in some way. Yes or No?
- Breaks or throws things to intimidate me. Yes or No?
- Yells, screams or humiliates me in front of other people. Yes or No?
- Pressures or forces me into having sex or going farther than I want to. Yes or No?
If you feel like you are in an unhealthy relationship then there’s plenty of support to help you resolve the issues you are facing or to remove yourself from the situation. We have information sheets and helpful videos below:
(To watch the videos, simply click on the images).