Counselling And Therapy
It is an upsetting reality that children are not immune to the psychological and emotional traumas in the world around them. More sophisticated research and training has brought a greater awareness of just how deeply social issues are felt by even the youngest children in our society. However the positive news is that, whilst our awareness of this issue has increased, so has the repertoire of tools and techniques available for therapeutic intervention.
The YMCA Menu of Services can offer trained and registered therapists or counsellors. The techniques used will be applicable to the age or understanding of the young person – including play and art therapy or other creative therapeutic techniques for younger children. Secondary school ages may benefit more from talking therapies. In each case, a consultation with the school will help to determine the best course of action and the most appropriate therapist for the task.
In order to meet national standards and to provide clarity in service costs, the following list explains how a typical referral would be dealt with:
• An assessment of the child – using evidence-based impact measurement tools (1 session)
• Perspectives from Teachers and Carers
• An initial number of therapy sessions (usually a minimum of 12 for Primary/Special Schools and 5 for
• Flexibility in the contract to offer additional sessions dependant on the needs and circumstances of the individual*
• A follow up assessment and/or feedback session for teachers/carers
• Sessions last a maximum of 50 minutes – some younger children may require shortened sessions
• 1 credit per session – which includes the assessment and feedback sessions
• 1-2 credits per school/setting for a formal review by a trained therapist/counsellor to discuss young people’s needs and progress (covering all young people)
• Optional use of additional credits for drop-in sessions, additional reports, or attendance at staff/service
*Needs will vary for each child and some young people may require more than others. 3 or more referrals will automatically require 2 credits
For Frequently Asked Questions, Click Here
For more information, email Lisa