Delivering Young Health Champions: Peer Support
This one-day course is designed to guide you through the delivery of our accredited Level 1 Young Health Champion Award. The aim of the programme is to enable you to upskill young people aged 14+ to develop their leadership skills and awareness of mental health to subsequently support their peers.
As with our other Train the Trainer courses, you will leave with a training manual and trainer notes to guide you through delivery of the programme in your setting.
Please note: the Level 1 Young Health Champions Award is currently accredited through YMCA Awards and so subsequent delivery in the setting will require approval as a sub-contractor. However, Internal Quality Assurer provision is included in the annual licence as described on the next page. Contact us for further details.
- Increasing knowledge of the Young Health Champions Level 1 Award and how it works
- Discuss a toolkit of resources, lesson plans and schemes of work to underpin the programme across a variety of mandatory and optional units
- Applying knowledge to enable you to deliver the Level 1 Young Health Champions Award in your setting
- Receive internal verification, on-going updates and resources, and further advice through the licensing arrangement – plus access to direct clinical interventions for those in most need.
- Increased understanding of the benefits of peer support to raising awareness of mental health in your setting
- Increased understanding of your roles and responsibilities in creating a positive health and well-being culture using a whole school approach
- Build confidence in delivering the award by understanding the principles of health and well-being practice
- Peer Leadership
- Health Improvement
- Body Image
- Self-esteem and confidence
- Dealing with bullying
- Feelings and emotions
- Encouraging physical activity
- Healthy eating
For more details about the programme:
- download the Young Health Champions brochure
- download additional information about the award
- download the licence delivery conditions including tutor requirements
- download roles and responsibilities of the IQA (Internal Quality Assurer)
The annual licence fee includes all of the following:
- Unlimited use of the materials in your school – you can deliver the programme and access our resources for the duration of your licence, subject to the course conditions
- Free IQA support for the first course you deliver in Year 1 and two courses in subsequent years whilst the licence is valid. This is based on up to eight hours of support for the first course and five hours for subsequent courses. Any additional time required to enable the course to be approved and meet the criteria, will be charged at an hourly rate depending on needs. IQA support can also be purchased for additional courses as required, as must all
student certificates for registered courses.
- Free annual refresher training (during the three-year licence)
- Up to two new places Free for additional staff each year (subject to become an approved trainer through YMCA Awards)
- Free recordings of training included to watch anytime during the licence period (where available)
- Tried and tested resources and materials based on sound research
- Regular updates – we do all the research and find the most useful resources for you, saving you time and money. We will also source additional materials and content as necessary, based on your feedback
- Peer support – our licensing agreement and annual refreshers allow schools to share good practice. We will also facilitate peer support opportunities, so you can always access additional help
- Clinical support and advice – our dedicated service means you can contact us if you have any questions about the material. We will offer support and signpost you to additional resources, so help is always on hand.
*minimum three-year commitment in order to effectively implement
The cost for this course is £150 per person (+ VAT) (2nd person Free).
Alternatively we can deliver this course in-house at £900+VAT and expenses plus the setting licence fee for up to 16 delegates
Banding Codes and Annual Licence Costs per setting:
B1. Up to 150 pupils £300
B2. Up to 300 pupils £325
B3. Up to 450 pupils £350
B4. Over 450 pupils £375
B5. Up to 500 pupils £400
B6. Up to 1000 pupils £450
B7. Up to 1500 pupils £500
B8. Over 1500 pupils £550
New for 2020/21 – Partner Reward Scheme giving you more benefits for accessing our services; including training & licence discounts, free resources and webinars.
- Read Partner Reward Scheme document (232KB, PDF)