Feeling good, staying healthy
How can we look after our mental health?
We all have mental health, and just like our physical health there are many ways we can look after it. We can help our mental health by using the behaviours and tips below. These will also help us if we are managing or recovering from mental health problems.
Below are the 5 ways of wellbeing from the New Economics Foundation:
- Connect – Link with people around you, meet friends
- Be active – Walk, run, dance, cycle. Staying active and exercising makes you feel good
- Take notice – Notice things around you and appreciate the moment
- Keep learning – Learn, rediscover and try something new
- Give – Creating connections can be incredibly rewarding, support your community
Mental Health Tips from external specialist organisations:
Mental Health Foundation
- Talk About Your Feelings – Can help you cope and manage your feelings
- Eat Well – what we eat affects our mood and how we feel
- Keep in Touch – friend and family can offer support and a different point of view
- Take a Break – time out can give you more perspective and help you de-stress
- Accept Who You Are – this helps you look after yourself
- Keep Active – Regular exercise can boost how you feel about yourself and help you relax
- Drink Sensibly – helps you stay well
- Ask for Help – there is always someone who can help
- Do Something You’re Good At – this boosts your confidence and makes you feel good
- Care for Others – This helps maintain relationships.
Young Minds – Young Minds have some great tips on how to improving your mental health.
Relax Kids – Relax Kids offer training, classes and resources to aid the mediation and relaxation for children.
Action for Happiness – Action for Happiness help people take practical action to improve mental wellbeing and to create a happier and more caring society. They also offer their top 10 tips for happiness.
Time to Change – Time to Change provide advice for parents and teachers on talking to children about mental health.
Youthoria – Youthoria offer fun things to do for young people.
The Minded Trust – The Minded Trust focuses on the prevention of mental illness in young people and early intervention strategies for those experiencing trauma.